[pythian] Re: CODE - Network

  • From: Andy <andreastropschug@xxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:03:21 +0200

Hi Steven,

>While this goes up fairly fast, if we're talking no more than 8 people a
>server, it *may* be acceptable. Maybe not.  16 obviously wont work with this
>idea.
I thought we were talking about a MMORPG .(MassiveMultiplayer....)
So I think 16 acting objects (not only Players, npcs(AIs), beasts, etc.!!!) are
near to nothing.
It is the same in every game with the handling of many in any way interacting
objects, that there are always calculations that go up exponentially with the
number of objects. But we should try to keep such calculations to a
minimum. For Phase2 this all should be no problem.
But when we think of Phase3 we could run into some serious ones.
Especially when it comes to ... sieges of fortresses, epic Battles one army
against another army ....
...whoa... @ -)    ( <- heh! the all new "lost in a dreamworld" smiley :) )
back to the facts.

Maybe I see too much trouble in this. The server has no geometry and
graphics calculations, so this could more or less be done with the visibility
checks for the ai or something, without problems.