[pure-silver] Re: archives

  • From: Ron Schwarz <rs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:25:26 -0400

05:09 PM 9/11/2004 +0100, Rob Champagne wrote:

>Karl and Matthew,
>If you had been following this thread from the beginning you would have
realised that the issue here is whether the list owner should add a
copyright notice to all messages saying that the message is copyright and
thereby taking on responsibilty for protecting that copyright on behalf of
the original sender of the message.
>Doing this leaves the list owner in a position where if any one person
decides to violate copyright of the message and someone then decides to
pursue a remedy in the courts, that remedy may be made against the list
owner for not protecting the copyright.  By putting a message in the sign
up procedure to absolve himself or herself from responsibility for
protection of copyright on behalf of the message sender the list owner
minmises risk to themselves.

>What you need to consider is whether you would be prepared to take on that
responsibilty if you were running the list.  If you are, then feel free to
volunteer.

>You will note that no one who has asked for copyright protection to be
added to the messages has volunteered to take on any kind of responsibility
for doing it.

>Personally I'm not bothered if someone produces a CD or not.  I don't
believe it would be marketable. Lets face it, silver gelatin is a very
small niche market which is shrinking rapidly and the vast majority of what
is contained in the list is NOT original thinking and can be found in other
texts in a far better presented manner.

>Unfortunately there are one or two people who have been ANALysing the
copyright issue and those who feel strongly about it are, IMO,  most likely
those who would  attempt to sue.

>As has already been said, the archives are already available,  i.e.
already publshed on the internet.  Those who want it published on CD are
just too damn lazy to download it.

There is one potential situation in which a CD would be of marketable value.

That would be if someone were to sell a book, and include a copy of the CD
in one of those pouches glued to the back endleaf, and include a blurb on
the cover touting the inclusion of "The entire archives of the Pure-Silver
mailing list!"

While arguably this adds no "real" value, since anyone can download the
same archive from a variety of sources, it *does* add "market value", and
would quite likely help boost book sales.

Is anyone who is pushing for the "right" to burn and sell a CD also working
on a book in progress?

>Not publishing a CD is a NO risk option and why should anyone make the
effort to publish a CD for the lazy people who can't be bothered to
download the archives.