[pure-silver] Re: archives

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:39:06 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Rob Champagne" <psps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: archives
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:33:27 +0100

> you are posting messages to an email address at which you have no
  clue who or how many people it will be distributed to and then you
  turn around and think it is copyright.  If what you have to say is
  that sensitive I wouldn't bother posting it.

That doesn't make it free of copyright related issues when people want
archive later. The problem is already very obvious.

> In my opinion the list owner should include in the sign up procedure
  a message saying that anything posted at this list is free of
  copyright and therefore is freely useable for publication by anyone
  and anyone who doesn't agree with this should not post here. Taking
  this opposite view leaves the list owner in a much safer position
  legally than trying to make the posts copyright which could be
  violated by anyone on the list.

In many parts of the world one cannot abandon copyright like that.
Copyright issues are really annoying. There are several types of stock
license agreements and layman readable descriptions at Creative
Commons web site. I personally think what they have done is very useful
to artists and other forms of creators.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."