[pure-silver] Re: archives

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:52:47 -0700

At 03:33 PM 9/9/2004, Rob Champagne wrote:

>In my opinion the list owner should include in the sign up procedure a
>message saying that anything posted at this list is free of copyright and
>therefore is freely useable for publication by anyone and anyone who
>doesn't agree with this should not post here. Taking this opposite view
>leaves the list owner in a much safer position legally than trying to make
>the posts copyright which could be violated by anyone on the list.
>It might also focus peoples minds when they thinking of posting abusive
>messages since anyone can publish what they have said.
>
>rob

I added the following warning to the welcome message for new subscribers:

"Also realize that this is the Internet. What you post goes out over the
ether and where it eventually ends up is totally unknown. Like feathers in
the wind. Live Internet harvesters are constantly at work so your post
could end up in the text of a porn site hosted half way around the world.

All of the Pure Silver posts will be archived and made available as a
searchable database to anyone who has the link. Therefore, copyright of
your verbiage is not a reasonable position to hold dear. Basically, there
is no copyright and no protection. If you don't want it read around the
world, don't send it.

The best policy is... stay on topic and be nice, and you'll have nothing to
fear."

Jim