[pure-silver] Re: archives

On September 11, 2004 3:25 pm, Ron Schwarz wrote:

> There is one potential situation in which a CD would be of marketable
> value.

 Plenty of ways to make it marketable. It all depends on what you consider
value. People still sell CDs of freely downloadable stuff. Linux ISOs, text
documents or programs. People buy them  for various reasons. Somebody was
selling older books that had lost copyright protection [or in many case never
had it ]. Likely some one still is.  A blank CD costs almost nothing. Charge
$9.99 plus $5 for shipping and handling.  It's possible to sell almost
anything. Or somebody could use them to test a spell check program-)

> effort to publish a CD for the lazy people who can't be bothered to
> download the archives.

 Not everybody CAN download the archives. I've no idea just how big the
archives are now but I bet they'll tax a dialup account. Not everybody wants
to download them. Not everybody even knows they can. Go to Ebay any day and
you'll find some people selling CDs of Pentax manuals. The same manuals you
can download off the Pentax USA website.

 On the issue of copyright wasn't this all settled during the 1980s when
Compuserve was sued? The court found Compuserve owned the collection of
messages but not each message so Compuserve could sell complete collections
buy not edited messages. Of course I don't really remember the 80's

 BUT wasn't the real issue that nobody wanted to take the risk that somebody
would sue? The issue wasn't was it legal but the hassle of dealing with some
one with a axe to grind?

Nick