[pure-silver] Re: archives

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wolzphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:53:25 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Karl Wolz" <wolzphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: archives
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:18:28 -0700

> I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, since I haven't bothered to keep an
> eye on who posts what, but it amazes me that any photographer is willing
> to look the other way on copyright issues.
>
> The right to our images is our lifeblood, and our writings carry the
> same weight.  Although I would certainly allow anyone on this list to
> make appropriate use of anything I've written, I find it ludicrous that
> anyone with this group's collective background would think to publish
> someone else's writing without asking.
>
> You just gotta know that someone's gonna get ticked off about something
> and use this abuse as a legal wedge somewhere down the line, to say
> nothing of the liability incurred with any misquotes!
>
> Rant over,

I totally agree with you, you only said it better than I could.

But at the same time I am not going to archive mailing lists for the
convenience of others, so I won't make any more effort in to this
particular issue. I'll let Jim handle it. But I can only see a few
years in the future the same discussions come up again. "Current
archive is hard to search, we need a better archive" to why don't we
press a DVD and distribute. Oh it's legally in the gray zone, can't do
it. I'm one of those who learn from mistakes rather than from success,
so it's a bit frustrating experience but I don't see it's worth
spending more time.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."