[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:57:33 +0100

Justin F. Knotzke a écrit :
> <quote who=Stein date=[3/22/2005 10:56]/>
>
>>Dear Justin,
>>
>>     Well, pooh, you have a great deal more talent for taking pictures than
>>we thought. I'll still stand by the recommendations, though. The 4 x 5 as
>>finishing line pictures should be nice and detailled - sort of a sweatorama.
>>Given that you will need to focus carefully to take advantage of the
>>resolving power of the large negative but will be playing with a smaller
>>depth of field for a standard focal length lens ( I seem to need f.16-32 for
>>my studio work with a 150 Symmar S ), you may have to arrange the subjects
>>precisely.
>

>     Thank You Uncle Dick for the kind words. Truth be told, I have only
> been taking pictures now for about 18 months.
>
>     I have purchased "Using the View Camera" and I already own the
> trilogy of books by some guy named "Adams" which I plan on reading again
> (especially the parts I skipped over about those cameras that look like
> they were made in 1920.. )
>
>     This coming weekend I will be traveling to San Francisco and my
> girlfriend and I are going to rent a 4x5 camera. If it rains, we will
> settle for a 645..
>
>     I had forwarded your replies to her and she thought we should
> definitely take you up on your offer for a beer.
>
>     I told her I was game providing she pays the airfare to Oz.
>
>     She hasn't replied yet.
>
>     Thanks again to all for the help.
>
>     As I stated, I am going to rent this weekend and then when the
> weather turns warmer here in Montreal rent again and if it still appeals
> to me I have been in contact with a Jim from Badger Graphic over a Shen
> Hao..
>
>     But first let's see if I am not insane.

Hi Justin !
When facing the very same dilemna as yours, I was told by an old and
wise guy (member of my camera club) that Large Format is the better
known way to waste film .....
You never know what will be wrong, this time.... But when you've got a
fine neg, what an experience !
So, loan a camera, and figure out for yourself ! Of course, you have to
solve the loading/reloading issue, and the porsessing of the film (while
in SF, or keeping them 'til home ?)
Enjoy !!

--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
Aucun électron n'a été blessé ou forcé d'aucune manière