[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: Dave Hornford <Dave.Hornford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:32:15 -0700

Justin,

I have 3 LF Cameras (4x5 Sinar Alpina, 5x7 Field Camera & an 8x10
monorail) All three are used for landscapes and all three go out
overnight. The 16x20 in my plans would be eligible for pretty much
anything but trip to BC's Limestone Lake in Height of the Rockies Park.

Many focus on the weight of LF cameras, but in my experience it is
misguided, for most people packing a camera bulk a more critical
constraint. My Sinar & 8x10 do not collapse into nice compact boxes like
the field camera. They are odd shaped and don't fit in, or on, any of my
packs nicely. They are a pain to carry overnight. By the time I add film
holders, tripod, etc., etc. to the field camera it is a lesser pain to
carry.

Regarding lenses, think about what you shoot in another format. Matching
with your LF is a good starting point. I like wide so I have a 75, 90,
135, 180, 240 & 300. Overnight the 135 & 300 come on the trip. Within
1/2 hour of the car everyone is eligible to come for the ride.

Renting a 4x5 on your trip is an excellent idea. When I thought LF might
be for me I picked up a Calumet Cadet, an older lens & a couple of lens
boards on ebay. A couple of hundred dollars 'invested'. Tried it out and
loved LF. Concluded the older lens was inadequate & the cadet could only
be called 'rigid' if I used a spot welder. Sold them for about what I
paid, less shipping. About the same as renting.

Based on your site I suspect you are going to struggle with LF to take
the same photographs. Action, movement, spontenaity & LF do not really
go together.

Dave