[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:04:24 +0800

Dear Justi,

     Just another post to tweak your interest. When you look at the LF
camera market you will see that there are 4 x 5 , 5 x 7, and 8 x 10 cameras
on the eBay site. There may also be smaller odd sizes and larger standard
sizes. Look forward in your plans for how you will develop what you shoot
and print what you develop. The 4 x 5 is really the easiest option in terms
of tanks, trays, and enlarger availability. I suspect it will be your
easiest option for the film too.

     If you are looking in the eBAy section - and I have gotten some
wonderful gear from this - look at Calumet or Graflex monorails as well.
They are cheap as chips and the bellows material generally has weathered the
storm of time very well. If your option is the field camera , well in
addition to the others we have mentioned there is the Anba, or Nagaoaka. It
is certainly workable - I use one for reenactment pictures - but a little
flimsy. It would live well on a Manfrotto tripod but not in a high wind....

    Uncle Dick