[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:44:50 +0800

Dear Justin,

     Just back from work and feeling fine. You'd be amazed how good 4
impacted wisdom teeth can feel if you are on the handle end of the pliers. I
particularly like tossing them across the theatre into the bucket like
little red comets and shouting " Computerise that, ya bastards! ". The
nurses have learned to duck.

     I just thought of the book you need right now. Right now before you go
and spend any camera money. Find a copy of the current book by Roger Hicks
and Frances Schultz called "Medium and Large Format Photography "*. It looks
like a coffee table book with lots of pictures of gear and accessories and
illustrations of what the cameras do, but it has such a wealth of
cleverly-presented material that it is perfect for where you are. Later one
of Simmons books or the hardback Stroebel is a good idea to extend your
knowledge, but right now you need a fun overview of the field. Hicks is fun.

    What pictures would you like to take? I beleive you can become very
famous by taking moonrises over Hernandez and green peppers and old
cigarette buts. Naked ladies are always popular. Perhaps a naked lady
covered with old cigarette butts eating a green pepper under a rising moon
to get you started and go from there....

     Uncle Dick

* Marroon cover with a picture of an English church out in the fens on the
front. I still consult mine for a fun read and I still find out little
snippets that I missed on first reading. No, you can't have my copy, but if
you bring beer you can read it.