[pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?

  • From: ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:20:58 -0400 (EDT)

What a "blast from the past"!!  :-)

The dissipation of course was dependent on the class of the final.

When I worked at WCLV FM, in Cleveland in the 60's, the finals were class C; we
would get nearly 70% efficiency on the final.  I think I remember that in those
days they were only running about 10KW out / about 15KW in - something like 7.5
KV at 2 amps.  Heavy duty power supply, what?

Not long after those days I built an SSB linear with 3 4-400's in parallel,
with a 3KV / 2 amp power supply, mostly just to do it -- and because I had a
BIG plate transformer looking for a place to be used.  All air cooled, of
course.  It was not overly stressed at 6KW pep input.  :-)  :-)   (Why 4-400s
instead of a couple of 4cx1500a's?  Because I *had* them!)

Virtually all AM transmitters were plate modulated at the final.  Just imagine
25KW of rms audio at WNBC in NY, etc., also with class C finals -- with 10KV at
7.5 amps (75 RF KW!) live and flowing through the modulation transformer!

- Don Feinberg
ex-AG1P (yes, when you still had to do 20WPM!!)
ex-First-Class-Commercial CW and Phone Op, etc.
ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 >>> Anodes were never made of carbon but were probably
surface treated. The anode material had to be mechanically
strong enough to contain the very high vacuum in the tubes.
The anode was in the form of a long cylinder with a rounded
end. The top of the tube was glass with the other contacts
in it. One of the big tricks in making tubes was learing how
to make good glass to metal seals. The water cooled tubes
also had air cooling for the top to keep the seals cool. The
tubes sat in ceramic tubs which contained the cooling water.
Circulation was through ceramic pipes. Since these
transmitters were not very efficient the heat dissipation
was probably on the order of the transmitter power or more.