[pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:36:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:59 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?

The reality is that potable tap water is good enough for most darkroom
applications as long as the processing chemicals are properly
formulated. Indeed, if a processing works with distilled water but fails
with tap water, it's a poor formulation. I know Kodak tells people to
use distilled water if you call them to complain about XTOL, but I think
it's not a real solution to the problem.

I use triple distilled and deionized water for silver-gelatin emulsion
making, but that's the only place highly purified water is essential in
my darkroom. (Even that, the only early parts require such a pure water.
Later parts could be done with carbon filtered tap water.)

How effective is simply boiling water and allowing it to sit and cool? I know this will not remove some dissolved materials such as the Chloramines used locally for disinfecting water. According the the local water company an activated charcoal filter will remove these.
The above is curiosity since boiling has been recommended in the literature for as far back as I can find. I mostly use plain tap water and have not had problems other than a short life Xtol failure.

---