[pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?

  • From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:50:33 -0400

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:36:48 -0700, "Richard Knoppow"
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>    How effective is simply boiling water and allowing it to
> sit and cool? I know this will not remove some dissolved
> materials such as the Chloramines used locally for
> disinfecting water. According the the local water company an
> activated charcoal filter will remove these.
>    The above is curiosity since boiling has been recommended
> in the literature for as far back as I can find. I mostly
> use plain tap water and have not had problems other than a
> short life Xtol failure.

Boiling and cooling, followed by careful decanting and/or filtering is
good for removing temporal hardness. The idea is to remove carbonic aicd
from the water by boiling, so that the metals will precipitate.

Larger metal ions and organic compounds are better dealt with activated
charcoal filter.