[pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?

  • From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:59:26 -0400

The reality is that potable tap water is good enough for most darkroom
applications as long as the processing chemicals are properly
formulated. Indeed, if a processing works with distilled water but fails
with tap water, it's a poor formulation. I know Kodak tells people to
use distilled water if you call them to complain about XTOL, but I think
it's not a real solution to the problem.

I use triple distilled and deionized water for silver-gelatin emulsion
making, but that's the only place highly purified water is essential in
my darkroom. (Even that, the only early parts require such a pure water.
Later parts could be done with carbon filtered tap water.)