[pure-silver] Re: Deionized Water-Advantages & Sources?

  • From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:52:20 -0400

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:36:53 -0700, "Richard Knoppow"
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>    Anodes were never made of carbon but were probably surface treated.
>    The anode material had to be mechanically strong enough to contain
>    the very high vacuum in the tubes. The anode was in the form of a
>    long cylinder with a rounded end. The top of the tube was glass
>    with the other contacts in it. One of the big tricks in making
>    tubes was learing how to make good glass to metal seals. The water
>    cooled tubes also had air cooling for the top to keep the seals
>    cool. The tubes sat in ceramic tubs which contained the cooling
>    water. Circulation was through ceramic pipes. Since these
>    transmitters were not very efficient the heat dissipation was
>    probably on the order of the transmitter power or more.

This is not RCA so they may look very different, but you can see some of
the water-cooled final stage tubes here:

http://kagakukan.toshiba.co.jp/history/1goki/1919radio/index.html

Here's a Simens:

http://www.radiocraft.co.jp/rc_tube1.html

>    The tubes used in broadcast transmitters up through the 1960s were
>    mostly simple triodes and could be rebuilt.

Also, the toshiba page describes that they had 20kW short wave final
tube with water-cooled *cathode* around 1950.

I personally have no experience with anything like these. The biggest
tube I've ever used is 6146B driven by 12BY7A. My main interest was in
UHF and SHF so these guys are too big.

Also, water has pretty significant dielectric constant with big
dielectric loss, so I wouldn't use water in direct contact with any of
the circuits I was building...

In terms of corrosion resistance, high chromium stainless steel and
titanium are pretty good. I've been looking for a reaction vessel that
is made from poor electric conductor but excellent heat conductor. Does
anyone know such a material? (Besides beryllium oxide, of course.)