[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning picture frame glass

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:56:50 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:39 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Cleaning picture frame glass

I am framing an exhibition and as usual I find myself worrying about how to
clean the glass. Glass cleaners contain chemicals, commonly acids and
ammonia. I worry about their effect on the prints. Does anyone have good
information on this and what do you all do?
I clean mine using minimal amounts of glass cleaner where I must and rub as
much off as I possibly can, then leave the glass to dry off/ evaporate for a
day or two before use.
Tim

I think some of the responses to this are a bit overkill. Plain dishwashing detergent followed by a thorough rinsing should do it unless there is something on the glass that needs a solvent to remove. I doubt if the detergent leaves anything volitile on the glass, or anything at all for that matter. Ryuji's formula sounds like a good general glass cleaner and probably is suitable for lenses as well, but I am not sure that much complication is really necesary. Cleaning in a carbonate bath, etc, is the sort of thing recommended for preparing glass for glass plates and is part of the routine for cleaning optical elements. You might check sites like http://palimpsest.stanford.edu for anything about glass. AFAIK, the only problems with glass overlays has been from old type RC paper that was outgassing from the reflective layer.
In the USA one can get picture framing glass with an anti-reflection coating. I don't know what sort of coating it is, perhaps doen the way spectacle lenses are coated. It does work.

---