[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning picture frame glass

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:21:17 +0200

Tim

I share your concern about glass cleaners. Some contain vinegar. Here we
spend all the time to get acid-free materials, and then we get vinegar that
close to the print. Or doesn't it matter?

Well, I had to reframe a bunch of prints for a show, a few months back. Some
had been in these frames and behind glass for up to 10 years. I have always
used Windex to clean the glass. When I took the prints out, I saw, what I
would call 'fog' on the glass. A clear imprint of where the print was, then
a less fogged area around the border of the print, and then nothing where
the over-mat touched the glass. I took a picture of it and can email that to
who is interested.

Needless to say, I don't use Windex alone anymore. I clean the 'cleaned'
glass with distilled water afterwards, hoping to get the Windex residue off.
The alcohol idea should work to though.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com