[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning picture frame glass

  • From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:20:21 +1000

On 18/04/06, Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've never heard of problem attributable to Windex or other glass
> cleaners (unless they are used on plexiglass).
>
> My glass cleaner is this:
>
> 0.2 ml Triton X-200 (anionic surfactant)
> 2.0 ml 28% ammonia (or 20 ml household strength)
> 20 ml isopropanol, 90% (or 25 ml of 70%)
> distilled (or otherwise mineral-free) water to make 100 ml
>
> If Triton X-200 is not available, I'd use 2 ml of PhotoFlo 200,
> which contains a different kind of surfactant (Triton X-100, which is
> nonionic). I find TX200 is superior for this application.

 Why is it better in this case to use a surfactant (a detergent?) with
negative charges in it?  What do the anions do?

Where is it more advantageous to use nonionic (non-charged) surfactant ?
Actually I just looked at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant)
and found that some nonionic surfactants (such as cocamide
DEA<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamide_DEA> and
cocamide TEA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamide_TEA> ) are used more in
shampoos, hand-soaps and cosmetics etc.  I guess they are more gentle.

regards
Peter