[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning picture frame glass

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 04:07:18 -0400 (EDT)

I've never heard of problem attributable to Windex or other glass
cleaners (unless they are used on plexiglass).

My glass cleaner is this:

0.2 ml Triton X-200 (anionic surfactant)
2.0 ml 28% ammonia (or 20 ml household strength)
20 ml isopropanol, 90% (or 25 ml of 70%)
distilled (or otherwise mineral-free) water to make 100 ml

If Triton X-200 is not available, I'd use 2 ml of PhotoFlo 200,
which contains a different kind of surfactant (Triton X-100, which is
nonionic). I find TX200 is superior for this application.

If the dirt is excessive, I'll take it to my darkroom sink and immerse
it in carbonate solution containing some Triton X-200, and clean both
surfaces with a sponge. For this purpose, a bit of dishwashing
detergent (for hand wash) is a better substitution when Triton X-200
is not available. After rinsing and drying, use the above solution to
clean fingerprints and drying mark.

Triton X-200 is a stable compound in a wide range of condition, and it
is identical or very similar to coating aid used in emulsion coating
in most coaters, including modern curtain coaters. Other ingredients
are volatile. So there's nothing to worry about here.

Some commercial glass cleaners are similar in ingredients, but they
often contain dye, fragrance, EDTA and some other nonvolatile
components. We don't need them.

From: "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Cleaning picture frame glass
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:39:40 +0100