[projectaon] Re: PDF Comment Period

  • From: David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:59:23 +0100

 Aha - that link you gave makes it pretty clear this is a known issue
 ("When converting PostScript output from TeX or LaTeX to PDF, the
resulting documents are of very low quality, if no special steps are taken
to avoid font rendering problems.....The problem is that by default
TeX/LaTeX uses.... Type 3...fonts instead of scalable Type 1 or TrueType
fonts. These bitmap fonts are generated at the printer's resolution, which
is typically 300 or 600 dpi.)

 Actually - I don't think Type3's are bitmaps, I think the issue is the
lack of hinting - but let's not quibble!

 There are 35 "standard" PostScript fonts but none of them look remotely
like Souvenir, I'm afraid.

 The Linotype foundary sells the proper ITC Souvenir font for only £23!
 http://www.linotype.com/802/itcsouvenir-family.html
 This is an post-script-flavour OpenType font.  Will that work on linux?

 --
 http://www.feline1.co.uk

 On Wed 07/07/10 10:48 AM , Javier Fernandez-Sanguino jfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
sent:
 On 1 July 2010 21:46, David Davis  wrote:
 > My single biggest concern is about the Souvenir font.
 (....)
 > This suggests to me that the pdfTex library has converted the
PostScript
 > Souvenir font to a PostScript Type3 font, and embedded it that way.

 That might be what ps2pdf does. I will take a look at the options
 used, but it might decide to conver the Souvenir font instead of
 embedding it. It should be pretty easy to make it use Postscript Type
 1 standard fonts (see http://dsanta.users.ch/resources/type1.html
[2]">http://dsanta.users.ch/resources/type1.html).
 If we use this which Type 1 font would you recommend using for the
 PDFs? (see [1])

 We could also try to have ps2pdf to embed the PDF files. Would that be
 a reasonable option?

 Regards

 Javier

 [1] This document has a list of Type 1 fonts available in LaTeX:
 http://www.cs.usask.ca/content/resources/tutorials/latex/type1fonts.shtml
[3]">http://www.cs.usask.ca/content/resources/tutorials/latex/type1fonts.shtml
 I'm not sure it's current (don't have access to my development
 environment right now) but, if any, there might be some more
 available.

[4]">//www.freelists.org/list/projectaon

Links:
------