[projectaon] Re: PDF Comment Period

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:02:46 +0100

From: "Ingo Kloecker" <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:51 PM

The illustrations used for the PDFs are identical to the once used for
the HTML version. Therefore their resolution is pretty low. I would
appreciate putting higher resolution illustrations into the PDF.

Ah - do we have these files available? Or would it mean someone would have to spend hours re-scanning?

Not sure what to do about this. I'm using the standard way for using a
PostScript font with LaTeX.

It would seem strange to me that the standard way for LaTex to process PostScript fonts in the year 2010 is to convert them to Type3. But I have zero experience with desktop publishing
on linux, so I do not know.
Does you LaTex support TrueType fonts? If so, the quickest way to troubleshoot the problem might simply be to uninstall your PostScript Souvenir, and install a TrueType one
(someone on this list must have one you could use to test...?),
and see if that generates a PDF that where the text renders better on-screen.

(Another good test is to try printing a page or two of your PDF on a laser-printer... I predict it will print crisp and lovely, and not exhibit any of the uneven spindliness
I'm seeing on my monitor)

David