[projectaon] Re: PDF Comment Period

  • From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:29:13 +0200

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 05:36:31PM +0300, Ingo Kloecker wrote:
> >  - Is the Souvenir font on Ingo's linux machine a PostScript Type3 to
> > begin with?
>
> No, it is Type 1. So we just need to figure out how to use it directly
> in the PDFs.

Found the bug!

We should be using, it looks \usepackage{pstex} in the LaTeX header. This is
the output of pdffonts with and without it:

Without it (in Ingo's PDF version)

$ pdffonts 01fftd-ingo.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no      11  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no      12  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no      21  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no      22  0
FUJDJL+CMSY10                        Type 1            yes yes no      23  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no      24  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no      91  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no     113  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no     150  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no     163  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no     166  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no     350  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no     352  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    1851  0
GHZOFW+GoudyOldStyleBT-ExtraBold     TrueType          yes yes no    2845  0
ULALAF+GoudyOldStyleBT-ExtraBold     TrueType          yes yes no    2874  0
WSYEZW+GoudyOldStyleBT-ExtraBold     TrueType          yes yes no    2907  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    2948  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    3014  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    3017  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    3020  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    3021  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    3121  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  no    3137  0
MPRNBI+CMSY6                         Type 1            yes yes no    3146  0

With \usepackage{pslatex} I get this locally rebuilding the PDF:

$ pdffonts 01fftd.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
YJRQET+NimbusRomNo9L-Medi            Type 1            yes yes no       8  0
AKLEWD+NimbusRomNo9L-Regu            Type 1            yes yes no       9  0
FUJDJL+CMSY10                        Type 1            yes yes no      17  0
CZWMRE+NimbusRomNo9L-MediItal        Type 1            yes yes no      25  0
VTRIDL+NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal        Type 1            yes yes no      26  0

Look Ma!  No Type 3 fonts!

I've committed some changes to the latex.xsl and latex-komascrip.xsl to do
this.

Also, please make sure you use 'pdflatex' and not 'latex' to generate the PDF
versions. There was an error in the Makefile.common I fixed today to fix
this.

Ingo, could you please test it out and see if the PDFs are your side look
OK? (no Type 3 fonts) If so, please update the PDF at your staff account so
we can take a look at them. I cannot fully redo the build as it seems your
changes to the PDF generation are not yet included.

Regards

Javier