[projectaon] Re: PDF Comment Period

  • From: David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:29:47 +0100

 > - Is the Souvenir font on Ingo's linux machine a PostScript Type3 to
 > begin with?

 > No, it is Type 1. So we just need to figure out how to use it directly
 > in the PDFs.

 Ah OK , that's good news!

 Can you produce a small PostScript file from Latex, of just a couple of
pages? And upload that?
 I could then distill it to PDF on Windows and see if I get a PDF with the
hinting left in, that looks nicer?
 If that works, then we know the culprit is the PDF creation library that
you are using.

 If that doesn't work, it could be that the hinting information in the PS1
Souvenir you have just
 isn't very good (good hinting is one of the things you pays your money
for when you buy a commerical font).

 Because I am by no means 100% that your PDF creation process is stripping
out the hinting info
 and converting to Type 3:  Acrobat tells me that if I use it to look at
the "embedded fonts" data,
 but it often says peculiar things and I don't always trust it! :)
 (And it is probably just reading it from metadata rather than explicitly
reasoning that it's Type3,
 and metadata can be wrong.....)