[projectaon] Re: Errors: Eight from the Cauldron

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:36:45 +0000

David Davis wrote:
Oh I see! Sorry I wasn't really paying attention ;)

Well, I don't see any problem with it not being on the list that you can carry
over to
the Grand Master series - there's loads of exciting goodies not on that list.
It was just Dever striking a balance between realism and game play.

Of course! But the Platinum Amulet isn't referenced again in the Magnakai series, and you can't take it into the GM books. The next reference to a Platinum Amulet is in Book 16, where you are given one because you do not possess one already.

In Book 12, Banedon gives you a Golden Amulet to withstand the heat and poisonous fumes of The Darklands.

That means you should be able to use the Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet in Books 8-11, only you can't. No reference is ever made to it protecting you from fire or extreme heat, nor can you use it instead of possessing Nexus.

So - can you just clarify for me - the later "real" Platinum Amulets -
where do they turn up and where are they referenced for being used?
(I'm a bit confused when you say the Kazan Oud one "is never referenced again",
because surely any later books' section that says "...unless you are wearing a
Platinum Amulet"
could be taken to refer to the Kazan Oud one?)

Nope. Because you can't take it into the GM series! ;-)

Amulets usually have some kind of "magical" property which could have resulted from a
"spell" -
if Zahda cast the original spell and his power (and Doomstone) are gone, then
perhaps that
could rationalise why his Platinum Amulet no longer works?

That makes sense, though we don't necessarily want to explain our reasoning in a footnote. Or maybe we do, I'll wait for a consensus of opinion. But the easiest way to prevent this is definitely to rename the item from Platinum Amulet in Book 7.