[projectaon] Re: Errors: Eight from the Cauldron

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:48:24 -0000

I would word these footnotes a less emphatically,
as the whole point of the footnote is that this appears to be an oversight/continuity flaw.

How about eg for 09tcof48:
"If you possess a Platinum Amulet from Kazon Oud, it does not appear to reduce the damage taken from this bolt of magic fire." ?

Actually, what section is the Platinum Amulet found in,
and what is the text description of it there?
Does it explicitly tell you when you find it that it will protect you from extremes of temperature? Or is this only revealed when you take it, and find yourself in a hot tunnel, and *then* the text tells you "lose EPs unless you are wearing a Platinum Amulet"?

I think it makes a difference, because if it's the former,
then I think we have a very good case here for treating this as a Joe Dever "hidden loyalty bonus" - it would be just the same as carrying your basic Kai Discipline bonuses over to the magnakai books, etc, which was never explicit in the printed rules, but Dever knew eagle-eyed gamers would spot the opportunity.

I would rationalise this by saying, if the Platinum Amulet is declared when found to protect against high temps,
then that's what it does,
whereas if you only discover it protects you when running down that hot tunnel, then we could consider its effect particular to the magic in action in Kazan Oud, and not generally applicable.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Osborne" <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

OK, how about something like:

09tcof 48: "If you possess a Platinum Amulet, it does not reduce the damage taken from this bolt of magical fire."

09tcof 59: "If you possess a Platinum Amulet, it does not reduce the damage taken from the scorching heat of the fire."

11tpot 62: "If you possess a Platinum Amulet and do not possess the Magnakai Disciplines of Nexus or Huntmastery, you may not add 4 to the number you have picked."

11tpot 95: "If you possess a Platinum Amulet and do not possess the Magnakai Disciplines of Nexus or Huntmastery, you may not add 4 to the number you have picked."

11tpot 349: "If you possess a Platinum Amulet and do not possess the Magnakai Disciplines of Nexus or Huntmastery, you may not add 4 to the number you have picked."

Are there any other such occasions where Lone Wolf is damaged by extreme heat?