[projectaon] Re: Errors: Eight from the Cauldron

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:43:01 +0000

Ingo Kloecker wrote:
(er)    77:     He that gave us life -> Him that gave us life [LeRoy
McSwain, Jan 2007] -> "...we will fulfil our duty to He that gave us
life."
[SO: Also, remove quotes and put thought-speech in itals? Or does the
Crocaryx use actual speech later on in the section?]

"It is He who [...]" appears to be a very common phrase in particular when talking about a deity. Google finds about 961,000 matches when one searches for the phrase "it is he who".

I can understand the personalisation of "He who" over "He that".

In view of this, I propose:
(er) 77: He that gave us life -> He who gave us life

Yes, I think I'd tend to agree.

(er)    115:    Put a tick on your Action Chart beside the item or items
that you wish to stake.  [Change 'Put a tick' to 'Put tick(s)' or
more simply just 'Mark' to agree with the syntax of 'item or items']
[LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

If you really think it's necessary to change this then please use "On your Action Chart mark the item or items that you wish to stake." Using 'Put tick(s)' might be okay for a form of some kind, but I don't think it's appropriate for literature.

I like this a lot. Assuming we do this, consider this post another vote for
Ingo's solution.

(er)    146:    Chah mountain -> Chah Mountain [??]
-> "...tough hill-dwellers from the Chah mountain valley, and..."

Chah is a river (see section 1). So "Chah Mountain valley" does not seem to make sense to me. Maybe "Chah Mountain Valley"?

I'd forgotten that. I was going from the idea it referred to a valley in the
Chah Mountains. Hmm.

(er)    256:    He who gave us life -> Him that gave us life [cf. Sect77
Errata above] -> "...we will fulfil our duty to He who gave us life."

No.

(ne)    350 (Footnote)  South Gate Guard -> South Gate guards
-> "...if your weapons and weapon-like Special Items were confiscated
by the South Gate Guard, they..."

I'd say "South Gate Guard" is correct. The fact that "Guard" is capitalized indicates that it does not refer to a single person but to the entity formed by all guards. Or maybe I'm just making this up since it works that way in German where "Wache" can refer to a single person as well as to the entity formed by several people and even to the building housing the guard.

It's not wrong per se, but ISTR "guards" is used in the book rather than "Guard". I could be wrong, though.