[projectaon] Re: Errors: Eight from the Cauldron

  • From: "Jonathan Blake" <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:54:04 -0800

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:48 AM, David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would word these footnotes a less emphatically,
> as the whole point of the footnote is that this appears to be an
> oversight/continuity flaw.

I agree. I would say something along the lines of "It is unclear
whether a Platinum Amulet should protect you in this situation in lieu
of the Discipline of Nexus."

Section 15 of 07cd: "If you wish to take the Amulet, mark it on your
Action Chart as a Special Item, which you wear on your wrist. It will
protect you from injury due to exposure to high temperatures."

Simon said:

> ...Or is just damaged by extreme heat, since later
> incarnations of the Platinum Amulet seem to be able to
> block a great deal of such damage?

Doing some research showed that these amulets apparently do function
differently. I found this passage in 17tdloi section 7:

"The narrow passageway leads you to a chamber carved from glittering
blue ice. Steps have been chiselled into its translucent north wall, a
slippery staircase which ascends to a landing positioned high above
the ice-cavern. As you climb the steps, the sub-zero temperature
plummets even further, making you shiver involuntarily despite the
combined protection of your Platinum Amulet and your Magnakai skills."

So the later amulets also protect against the cold. Perhaps we should
rename it. I still think that we should footnote passages where heat
and Nexus are involved. There is no evidence that the amulet from
Kazan-oud would work where Nexus wouldn't. Perhaps an additional
footnote on 07cd 15: "The Iridium Amulet [or whatever we call it] may
protect you in situations of extreme heat where the Discipline of
Nexus would have protected you instead."