Re: Shell Scripting Info

  • From: Don Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:34:56 -0400

I hope you have enough sight to see the Pittsburgh lights at night! I used to love the view coming out of the Ft. Pitt tunnels. I grew up in one of the nearest North West suburbs, Ben Avon Heights, near Shannopin Country Club.

We welcome all interested in joining our community in any way. We even attempted to work with Tyler. I have not even given up on him contributing in the future.

Did you see Storm Dragon's bash and vi classes on irc lately? They were great for beginners and the sessions were logged. Let me know if you need the link on the Vinux server.

I am still attempting to get a basic bug tracking system configured for Vinux. This is where our individual bugs and requests for enhancements can be viewed and kept up to date. Most of the activities now are related to orca bugs, how well orca works with Firefox and putting together a new distribution based on Ubuntu 11.0.4 Natty. Tony has a bash script that builds the ISO file. It will need to be changed for Natty and tested until all of the bugs are worked out. We are almost ready to attempt a different approach which is based upon groups of packages contained in metapackages that entirely build the distribution. This will get around many limitations, like Internationalization.

A lot of the vital Vinux development efforts help track down bugs and patch them from the different projects, like orca, atk, espeak, speech-dispatcher, and so on.

We also occasionally, find nich projects that originally started and used in Vinux. I will paste my list of desired future projects and current Vinux projects. Some are fairly small bash or Python scripts. I apologize that I have not yet added a short description for each one.

Needed Applications

Alex's ideas:
- Mail configuration script
- SpeakUp preferences dialog
- gesture input
- Apple MagicPad gestures
- mouse / trackpad exploration feedback
Vills wishlist:
- Improved screen reader that can work with both the consoles and gnome-terminal
- new package manager
- TTS
- speech recognition
- FFOS character recognition needs improvement
Don's wishlist:
- DLNA remote client

Current Vinux Developed Applications

    audiobook-converter  Attila Hammer
cfh (Call For Help)  Sina Bahram
dae Willem van der Walt - a digital audio editor made to work well with speech in the console
easy -ocr  nalin sathyan
geditpdf
kies Willem van der Walt - which is a menu system for use with speech and a lot of wrapper scripts that makes using the cli applications easier.
mark-up binder  Isaac Porat
orca-teacher  Attila Hammer
sonic and libsonic  Bill Cox
speect HMM Synthesis  Willem van der Walt
speedy-ocr  Don Marang
    talking-clock  Storm Dragon

*Don Marang*
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org <http://www.vinuxproject.org/> There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

On 5/17/2011 9:58 AM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi Don,

I live right in the city, and if I ever get enough confidence, I'd like to help with Vinux. I can absolutely help with documentation. I actually started to learn shell scripting a long time ago because I had a little Java class I wrote that had something to do with Lightweight Directory application Protocol. I got pulled off the project before I could really get into either and make them stick. I know I can do it now, I just need to keep telling myself I can.

Jim