RE: Shell Scripting Info

  • From: Katherine Moss <Katherine.Moss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 02:09:04 +0000

You forgot about the Mono framework.

From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Don Marang
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 10:07 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Shell Scripting Info

The information you posted is good.  Of course, I take offense that programming
in Linux can make you nuts.  Perhaps that's because I had experience with Unix
before being forced to use the crippled DOS and then Windows.  DOS and batch
files just stole a small part of this functionality from Unix.  It should be
noted that bash is simply command line statements strung together.  Bash
scripting becomes powerful because almost all of the applications and utilities
provide command line options and can be used together like building blocks.
GNU/Linux, and thus Vinux are great, not only because the Operating System and
screen readers are free, the compilers and IDE is also free.  Even the standard
Vinux 3.0.1 distribution has support for bash, C, C++, Python and so on
built-in.  An IDE, like eclipse or libraries need to be installed to develop
some languages.

Other examples of C++ development is Firefox and Thunderbird.

Java is also frequently used in GNU/Linux.  Libre Office is a good example.
Java using the SWT widgets has good accessibility in GNU/Linux.  It requires no
type of bridge.

Would you like us to submit our favorite resources for the other languages?
Vinux is a great place to get started with any of these languages, either using
the command line or gnome.

Don Marang
Vinux Software Development Coordinator -
vinuxproject.org<http://www.vinuxproject.org/>
There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real
substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on
things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

On 5/16/2011 7:42 AM, Homme, James wrote:
Hi,
I took the liberty to add the information Don provided about Bash scripting to
http://www.nonvisualdevelopment.org./content/what-programming-languages-are-most-useful-linux.
 Would someone please check this page for accuracy?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,