Re: Cross Platform Audio Game Engine

  • From: Lex <lex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:07:12 +0200

Hi Dave,

Good points. Let me add my 5 cents though.

13.01.2011 14:11, Dave пишет:
It's hard to come up with an audio game engine if you don't know what
type of game you had in mind in the first place.  Think of it as
incentive--if you have a basic playable game that consumes the engine,
it would help fuel new ideas for the engine to expand.

Yes. So in fact creating an engine also means creating a game with it in a first place. Here, I feel that if development was driven by one person interested in one kind of game, engine might become oriented only on that sort of game and nothing else. That's why I think better approach would be if several games were started by different developers who participate in engine designing/implementation each advocating on his/her topic. Saying that, i do believe that creation of an "all-in-one-suitable-for-everything-super-engine" isn't possible at all and this goal shouldn't be targeted by the team.

Another question is what platforms did you want to support?  Probably
Windows/Mac.  Therefore, we're talking about investing a significant
amount of time to understanding the low-level audio API's in each
platform (DirectX, OpenAU, and alsa/pulseaudio being the three that
come to mind for win/mac/linux).

Don't forget that there exist multi-platform solutions for this stuff: openal/portaudio/sdl mixer/irrKlang/fmod - only those I know about. One can make use of multi-platform library for sound, abstracting thing for the whole engine so that the underlying library can be easily changed if desired without touching everything.

So, to summarize, if there were an extensible architecture such as
very generic classes and good wrappers for platform low-level audio
services, and a few games in mind to serve as proofs of concept, I
think the project could get off the ground and I'd be personally
interested in helping out or even starting it.

Well, I am seeking for volunteers interested in the topic to collaborate on the subject. You are welcome to email me privately.

Lex