Re: Cross Platform Audio Game Engine

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 04:11:19 -0800

To add a few notes to the discussion:
It's hard to come up with an audio game engine if you don't know what
type of game you had in mind in the first place.  Think of it as
incentive--if you have a basic playable game that consumes the engine,
it would help fuel new ideas for the engine to expand.  Another
question is what platforms did you want to support?  Probably
Windows/Mac.  Therefore, we're talking about investing a significant
amount of time to understanding the low-level audio API's in each
platform (DirectX, OpenAU, and alsa/pulseaudio being the three that
come to mind for win/mac/linux).  It then is up to you to design an
API (set of classes) that abstract away low-level details to provide
common services such as 3-d audioscapes, in-game objects,with physical
notions of time, density, distance, location, etc., TTS/speech
recognition services, and whatever else your target game(s) may
require.  This will vary wildly from a simple game of cards to an
audio only 3-d flying game.

So, to summarize, if there were an extensible architecture such as
very generic classes and good wrappers for platform low-level audio
services, and a few games in mind to serve as proofs of concept, I
think the project could get off the ground and I'd be personally
interested in helping out or even starting it.