-=PCTechTalk=- Re: transferring Outlook Express files via memory stick

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:16:34 -0400

Sorry Jan,
    I've been stuck offline with satellite troubles.  It's still not working
right, so I'm now back to dial-up temporarily.

    WAB.EXE is the actual program that handles your Address Book.  The
Address Book itself is called xxxx.WAB (where the xxxx is your username).
For example, mine is named GMan.wab since I called my account GMan when I
first installed Windows.

    The WAB file in your My Documents folder is not the one you've been
using.  That location strongly suggess that it's actually an older backup of
an Address Book.  If you're interested in seeing what addresses are in it,
copy that one to the stick, too.  You should be able to import it the same
way.  I would try the old one first.  If it contains nothing you want to
keep, just delete all of the Address Book entries before Importing the main
one.

    The file on your stick was made Read Only when you copied it onto the
stick.  That's normal.  The original is not set to Read Only.  That too, is
normal.  I'm now wondering if the Read Only attribute on your stick was
preventing you from Importing it into your new system.  I'm going to suggest
that you try it again, but this time, remove the Read Only attribute just
before trying the Import function on the new system.  In other words, copy
it back onto the stick, take the stick tot he new system, use Windows
Explorer to view the contents of the stick, Right click on the *.WAB file
and select Properties from the context menu that opens up.  Uncheck the Read
Only item and then click on Apply and then on Close.  Finally, open up OE
(or Windows Mail) and use the Import function to try and read that *.WAB
file.

Peace,
GMan