-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Different DVD players

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:58:43 -0400

Judith,
    A "set top" player sits on 'top' of the TV 'set'.  Of course, this
probably dates me a little since 'set top' was the term used to describe
cable TV receiver boxes when they first can out (they were placed on top of
the TV by the installer as a rule).           ;O)

    In your case, the actual difference lies in supported DVD blanks.  Every
drive manufacturer has a list of disk blank models that they've tested and
approved for use with their hardware.  If you try using a brand not on that
list, you stand the chance of using an incompatable disk (burns fail or the
disk corrupts more easily than 'authorized' blanks).  For the most part, the
differences between various blank disk models are in the dyes used for the
writing layer.  In a nutshell, the more expensive the blanks, the better the
dye layer (but don't ever adopt that as a steadfast rule cause sale prices
often depend more on distributor volume buying than quality).  Regardless,
head over to your burner maker's web site and see if you can locate a list
of 'tested and approved' blank models to choose from.

    I should also point out that it will still be possible (though very
rare) for a disk approved for use in your burner to still have problems
playing in a drive or player that has not approved that particular brand.
There's not much you can do about that other than to switch to a blank brand
that is approved for both players if that situation does ever rear its ugly
head.

Peace,
GMan