-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Different DVD players

  • From: "Judith/agoodread.com" <jtb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:20:22 -0700

Thanks for the explanation!

Well I went to Norcent (my DVD player) and they don't even show
they make DVD players (LOL).  So I googled and got this:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Seems my choice of Sony should take care of the problems on mine
and play in everybody else's DVD players.

Judith

_______________________
Judith,
    A "set top" player sits on 'top' of the TV 'set'.  Of
course, this
probably dates me a little since 'set top' was the term used to
describe
cable TV receiver boxes when they first can out (they were
placed on top of
the TV by the installer as a rule).           ;O)

    In your case, the actual difference lies in supported DVD
blanks.  Every
drive manufacturer has a list of disk blank models that they've
tested and
approved for use with their hardware.  If you try using a brand
not on that
list, you stand the chance of using an incompatable disk (burns
fail or the
disk corrupts more easily than 'authorized' blanks).  For the
most part, the
differences between various blank disk models are in the dyes
used for the
writing layer.  In a nutshell, the more expensive the blanks,
the better the
dye layer (but don't ever adopt that as a steadfast rule cause
sale prices
often depend more on distributor volume buying than quality).
Regardless,
head over to your burner maker's web site and see if you can
locate a list
of 'tested and approved' blank models to choose from.

    I should also point out that it will still be possible
(though very
rare) for a disk approved for use in your burner to still have
problems
playing in a drive or player that has not approved that
particular brand.
There's not much you can do about that other than to switch to a
blank brand
that is approved for both players if that situation does ever
rear its ugly
head.

Peace,
GMan