-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows XP

  • From: "~OoO~" <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:01:28 -0400

Cindy, I don't believe you can actually purchase just a key in a retail =
shop, nor online anywhere... EXCEPT from another person who already has =
it. In other words, each key comes with the CD. But, if you buy it from =
someone that is selling a used copy for a reduced fee, that should =
suffice. Because, you're not really needing the CD if you already have =
it installed. You just want that key number to replace the bad one you =
have.

BUT... as already mentioned, if you have a legit copy of Win98 =
installed, you can purchase a copy of XP UPGRADE version (which is =
cheaper as opposed to the full install). Same thing.. purchase a used =
copy from someone on eBay maybe, and you should get it for cheaper. And, =
although I haven't actually done it myself, I don't believe you need to =
have Win98 installed to install the upgrade. You would install from =
scratch, and somewhere during the install it will ask you to put in the =
Win98 CD to verify ownership.

Hope this helps further. I know I may be confusing at times. I get home =
from long days out and try to catch up on the email... and tend to =
ramble on, sometimes overlooking what was asked.

Sir Troth
ICQ #1717439
AIM/AOL: SirTrothX
Yahoo: SirTroth