-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows XP

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:54:07 -0400

Never tried to installed XP over an existing XP. But, basically, all you
need is the key... a valid key. You already have a key for your installed
version, but its most likely a key that the pirates have been using to
bypass Windows activation. If you check the version of XP you have, you'll
notice you probably have XP Professional Corp version, which doesn't require
activation but does require a valid key. They key you have is valid for the
install, but comes up as invalid when you try to install SP2.

If you buy a legitimate version on eBay, make sure you have the exact
correct version of what's already on your system. If you have XP Pro Corp,
then buying XP Pro non-corp will give you a key that won't work on your
version.

If you get a key for the correct version you have installed, you then need
an app (easily obtainable online) that will allow you to change the key. Be
careful with eBay, however. Well, not really eBay, but rather the person
selling XP. If someone is selling an original XP CD, but they've used the
key before, your copy of Windows will not be able to activate. So, you need
to buy one that no one else has used... unless, of course, you're buying a
'cracked' copy... which I'm sure there's plenty abound on eBay.

So... once you get the copy of XP with a valid key, you then run that app I
mentioned to change the installed key, and enter the new key, and it should
work. The other end of the stick is to buy a new copy of Windows on eBay and
just reinstall from scratch. Make sure your docs and files are backed up and
just reinstall.

---Troth