-=PCTechTalk=- Re: QuickTime

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 01:18:25 -0400

Beverly,
    Although I'm sure you followed the directions 'to the letter', I'm still
shaking my head in disbelief at how much your system seems to be fighting
our every attempt to make it feel better.

    The QT icon that's still in your QuickLaunch area is only a leftover
that wasn't cleaned up by the uninstallation of QT.  To delete it, just
right click on it, select Delete from the menu and then click Ok.  If it
warns you that deleting the icon will not result in the removal of the
program, just ignore that and click Yes to tell it you're sure this is what
you want to do.

    To stop Firefox from running, Hold down both the CTRL and ALT keys with
one hand and use the other to tap the DEL key.  This will bring up the
Windows Task Manager.  You will probably need to Maximize the window to see
everything well.  Click on the Processes tab, scroll down the list and look
for Firefox.exe.  Click directly on Firefox.exe and then click on the "End
Task" button at the bottom right of the window.  If you see more than one of
these Firefox.exe entries, do the same for all of them.  This will ensure
that there are no instances of Firefox running.

    The remaining QT folder in Program Files should also be deleted.  It
simply shows that QT is not very good about fully uninstalling itself.
Since the QT program has already been removed, the fact that this folder of
plugins remained on your hard drive should in no way affect the rest of the
system.

    Next, I'm a little confused at the status of the folders that are now in
your Mozilla folder.  The new installation of Firefox created a new profile
folder.  Everything that was in your old Profile folder should have been
Moved over to your new profile folder and "Yes to all" should have been
selected when it warned you that it first discovered that a file already
existed.  If all of that is true to what actually happened, we should be all
set.  If it is, continue reading.  If not, tell me what is different from my
description.

    Having done all that, go ahead and try starting Firefox.  Hopefully, it
was just a glitch and the browser will start up normally.  If not, I am very
tempted to try establishing a link between our systems so I can see (and
fix) exactly what's going on.  I haven't suggested this before because I was
not successful in two previous attempts to completed such a connection over
a year ago.