-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HD Companies

  • From: Glen <glbbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

I currently have four hard drives.
A 13.5GB IBM    7200RPM 4 years old.
A 30.5GB IBM    7200RPM 3 Years Old.
A 80GB   Maxtor 5400RPM One year six Months old.
A 120GB  Maxtor 7200RPM One Year old.

No failures......Knock on Wood.
I had one problem with a hard drive not being seen by
my OS or Bios. Just turned the system on no hard
drive.

I check the voltage coming out of the power supply
connection to hard drive. Bad. Swapped with different
power cable. Hard drive was back and no problems.

What I heard when the first 7200RPM hard drives came
out was that they generated a lot of heat. So I got a
hard drive cooler(basically heatsink with fans). I use
the cooler for my main hard drive at 7200RPM that is
the 30GB IBM. I also make sure there is good air flow
around my hard drives.

Another note is to make sure you have a good
dependable power supply with plenty of wattage. I
recommend at least 400 to a 500 watts power supply.

Just my 2 cents.

Glen