-=PCTechTalk=- HD Companies

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:49:37 -0400

Let's talk about hard drive manufacturers. Just today... the 4th time I've had
a hard drive go bad. My first and second drives were Maxtors, my 3rd was an IBM
(oem), and my 4th, today, was a Maxtor. Today's however, came up with the most
damage... a wopping 6GB bad sectors. Luckily, it was in an unused area of the
drive, so I lost no info, but it has taken up a considerable amount of my time,
cause Windows scan disk didn't want to work... just kept freezing up at around
95%. Norton Disk Doctor was freezing up too, but after reformatting the drive
from scratch, Norton was able to secure the bad sectors.
So... question... what sort of luck has everyone been having with hard drives?
Any streaks on drives going bad? What brands?

Next question... anyone know how I can go back and see specific data on my
drive? It seems that after you do either Scan Disk or Disk Doctor, it tells you
at the end report that you have so-and-so sectors bad, but after the report is
gone, there's no way to pull up the info to see how much is bad and how much is
good? Any way to do it in Windows? Or, maybe another program I can buy?

---Troth