-=PCTechTalk=- Re: First Experience With The Geek Squad

  • From: "George Imrie" <g.imrie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 08:29:33 +0100

Gman/SirT

I couldn't agree more. Back in the day (when I was fit and able to do so) I
ran a small software-based IT Consultancy. The number of times I was able to
rescue folks systems and get them back up and working at no cost (simply by
recycling and reusing material they already had) was unbelievable--but you'd
have thought that I was performing some sort of miracle. As to the
licensing, I found that most of the bigger companies were perfectly willing
to relicence already existing customers on new equipment without any
problem, so long as they could understand exactly WHY the licence was being
relifed.
In one particularly notable incident, I travelled about 250 miles in
response to a panic midnight phone call. When I got there, I found that the
client's three year old son had been "helping" daddy and had inadvertantly
wiped the licence details for a particularly sensitive database. I
reinstalled the application and then phoned the company concerned to
reinstate his licence details. The company not only relifed his
installation, but then in the course of the conversation asked me how often
this sort of work was necessary. When I replied that I had never been
busier, I was placed onto their "preferred" retailer lists and rec'd install
discs for their complete range of software through the post. When the
client's company heard what had been done, I was then also put on contract
with them as their company troubleshooter.
If I tell you that, some 18 years later, I'm still in contact with both
companies and now get any/all problems referred to me for actioning (even
tho through illhealth I can no longer do the job myself), it shows what is
possible. And by the way, the software company placed me on monthly retainer
at that time, and have continued the contract by default ever since. One of
the best telephone calls I've ever received!!!
So yes, sometimes working for no perceieved reward can have unintentional
consequences.

Geo. Imrie