Re: Switching Back

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:04:48 -0500

Some things to consider when advocating use of a cellphone camera and "PDA":
1.  PDA may not have the power and/or memory Access or speed to do the job
efficiently.
2.  Camera needs to be at least 16 inches away from item being scanned for
adequate focus.
3.  Ambient lighting conditions need to be considered.
4.  Much image preprocessing is necessary.
5.  What OCR egnine will work on the PDA CE version of Windows?

Nick

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 06:25:26 -0700, Mary Ellen Earls wrote:

 Well for one thing checking to see if my signature came out on checks, and
 making sure that the return slip is in properly when I pay bills.
 Also I had to give up just reading a book at my leisure. No matter what ocr
 screen reader people tell you, flat bed scanners simply are not equipped for
 reading books and to just be able to read my Yoga books and look up the
 explanation of a posture I am not sure of is such a welcome relief again.
 It is also fantastic to check your checks and make sure the printer didn't
 print them too far up or over the line.
 That's about all I can think of at present, Maybe reading instructions on
 how to heat up frozen foods too is something which I had to give up pretty
 much
 I just had a thought about something, Why not develop software for our
 notetaking devices such as the Pacmate or Braille Note or Voice Sense or
 Braille Sense and utilize the camera of cell phones?
 Just my less than 2 cents worth but what do I know anyway?
 Mary Ellen Earls