Re: Switching Back

  • From: "Lerae Olesen" <lerae@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:44:14 -0500

The most obvious task that was difficult without my Optacon was reading the
mail--seeing who it was from, especially frustrating was when I would
receive Christmas or birthday cards from people who used return stickers
which are usually quite readable. Also, I use raised-line checks for some of
my financial management, and I always like to make sure my typing was
correct. I realize that with online banking, automatic withdrawal etc, there
would be a way around that challenge. I sometimes use the Optacon to read
package directions if I have forgotten how to prepare some pre-packaged
foods. One can sometimes ask a neighbor or friend for help with those, but
it's fun to see how readable they are.

Also, just the ability to quickly pick up a piece of printed paper and try
to see what it is will be very wonderful to do again.My mother knows that I
have an Optacon and even when it had stopped working, she always printed on
cards for me and tried to select ones she thought I'd be able to read.
Hopefully she'll still do that.
 I have a scanner with openbook, but it's not the same as the spot checking
we can do with the Optacon.
I hope this info is helpful.
Lerae