[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:55:39 -0800 (PST)

But an IF derived AGC only responds to on-channel and adjacent channel signals.

A typical RF Front End might have a 3 dB bandwidth that is not much more than
three channels wide.  I've only seen a few claims re RF bandwith, mostly in the
15-30 MHz range, depending on the operating frequency (Q less than 40).  Very
few Tuner manufacturers include this (or overload) in their posted spec sheets.
 [Probably because they are just too embarassed...]

With only a single stage of L-C tuning and the relatively low Q of typical
varactors, I wouldn't expect very much suppression several channels away.
These are the "other" signals that can drive a LNA into non-linearity,
preventing reception of weak signals.
                         <holl_ands>

Allen Le Roy Limberg <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
An IF derived AGC control voltage is OK if it is a wideband IF amplifier
driving the AGC detector. One that responds to Adjacent Channel
Interference (ACI). A narrowband IF amplifier using a SAW filter will drive
the demodulator.

Al Limberg