[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Joy, Patrick" <pjoy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:41:30 -0700

[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of cbenham@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 11:19 AM
> To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA
>=20
> Not my experience on this. Three friends have purchased the RS STB so
they
> can watch better looking pictures on their old NTSC TVs. They
previously
> had noisey, ghosty off air signals. These are non-technical people and
> they are thrilled to be able to watch what to them are pristine,
perfect
> pictures
> on their older TVs and to be able to record these programs on their
VHS
> decks.
>=20
Most of the people I know get their TV via cable or Sat.  If they do
have a second set, it to is hooked up to the cable or sat.  They have
not had over the air TV in so long that they have little or no
experience with OTA. But each one of them has told me that they would
junk the old set and not spend any extra money on it.=20
>=20
>=20
> We are all about to experience a new sensation. Never in US history
will
> we have suddenly lost an entire communications system totally,
completely
> and overnight.

This I very much agree with you on, it will be a very interesting day
indeed!
>=20
> This event will be different from any other change to radio and
television
> broadcasting that has ever occurred.
>=20
> Until now, everytime a new broadcasting medium has been introduced, it
> has supplanted the previous one, but has not replaced it. When FM was
> added, AM was not shut down. When UHF was introduced, VHF was not
turned
> off. Stereo and Color  were both added to previously existing
transmission
> mediums, but did not replace them, they only supplanted them.
>=20
> No amount of advertising, public service announcements, billboards, or
> flyers from all the consumer electronics stores in the country will be
> enough
> to stop the fury that will occur the day TV stops working.

I think there will be anger, how much no one knows.  But for those that
watch via cable, sat or FIOS, there will be little notice. =20
>=20
> You who are reading this are well aware of what is happening. You have
> been hearing about this literally for years. However, most of the
general
> public won't understand because they are not expecting such an event.
They
> are generally completely unaware of it.
> It will be like turning off the water everywhere and telling people
they
> now have to buy it by the bottle in grocery stores.

Actually turning off the water is more like turning off the cable, and
thentelling every one to get OTA.
>=20
> It is going to be an amazing day, that  March 7, 2009, and I doubt the
> NAB,
> the FCC, Congress and all the TV networks and stations are going to
ready
> for what they will be unleashing.  I can hardly wait.
>=20
>=20
> So how much is that, these new cheap DTV sets?

I think that as discussed on this list, that the price will not be
significant.
>=20
>=20
> Not if it's the only set you own and you can't afford anything but
over
> the air TV.

Well this is the problem that needs to be solved.  The poor will be the
ones left behind, just like in New Orleans.  What do we do as a society,
leave them behind.  As I said earlier, those that are on the cable, sat
or FIOS will not even notice.

Pat Joy