[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:03:59 -0400

http://www.ncta.com/press/press.cfm?PRid=3D325&showArticles=3Dok

> However, the result has been that ALL "DTVs" are being
> equipped with both ATSC and CableCard capabilities....
> Which aren't needed for HD-SAT (which integrates ATSC),
> HD-PVR and FiOS (et. al) when it hits my neighborhood..

To me, the mandate/agreement only make sense when applied
to TVs and to recording devices, such as PVRs, VCRs, or
DVDRs. And in fact, the URL above says:

"The agreement, which sets the stage for a national
'plug-and-play' standard between digital television
products and digital cable systems, will help speed the
transition from analog to digital television and establish
much-needed marketplace, technical, and regulatory
certainty for the cable and consumer electronics (CE)
industries."

The word "products" seems to accommodate more than just
TV sets. But the lawyers can argue these arcane points.
I agree that recording devices and DBS should be included
to really make this make sense. This creates the US
equivalent of the DVB-T/C/S combined standards that the
rest of world (almost) has adopted.

A few years ago, this was another one of those infinite
argument threads on this list. Fact is, this approach is
eminently viable.