[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:02:52 -0400

Patrick Joy wrote:

> Until the mandatory cutoff date for NTSC arrives there
> will be no market for such a box.

Unless the broadcasters get serious and offer a really
compelling set of multicasts. And also there will be
some who really appreciate the better quality images and
audio. But in general, I agree.

> I guess you would call this replacement value, where it
> is cheaper in the long run to replace the older set with
> a new set if the new value is comparable to what the
> older set had when originally purchased.

To me, it's a matter of here and now. If I can buy a $50
or $100 box that works well and allows me to continue
using my less-than-year-old $1200 NTSC set, I'll do that
in a NY minute.

It's not just those who own 30 year old CRT sets on their
last legs that need to switch over.

I think the market for plain ATSC STBs will last a few
years at most. Then, if other innovations are introduced,
like H.264 compression OTA and over cable, the market for
those STBs will emerge, and last a couple of years. And so
on, as the standards evolve over time.
=20