[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:37:31 -0400

Excellent point, Cliff, and one I hadn't really considered before.

The original laws mandating that television stations build out ATSC
facilities had staggered deadlines according to market size and type (profit
or non-profit) of station, partly to give smaller stations more time to find
the financing, and partly to give equipment manufacturers and tower crews a
staggered workload.

The original "85% rule" would have almost certainly have had us turning off
NTSC market-by-market, not nationwide at once.

Hopefully the powers that be will ultimately abandon this silly notion of a
single nation-wide cutoff date for NTSC, and instead implement a staggered
cutoff timetable.  This will allow the CEA to concentrate their supply
efforts on a single region at a time, and give everybody a feeling for what
the actual impact on the viewing public and television equipment supply
chain will be.

John