[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Joy, Patrick" <pjoy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:23:02 -0700

Gentleman, I have been following your discussions about the coming
cutoff and the STB issues. But, I see that you all don't get the point
of why the RS STB or other STB's did not sell well.  It is value to the
customer. What value is there in putting investment into a device that
would not give them anything better then what they have, and why would
you put money into something that is not worth anything?  The market for
stand alone STB's for older sets is much smaller then people realize.  I
for one would not put another 80 dollars into my 30 year old Sylvania
TV.  I would not put any additional money into the other four old TVs.
That would be very expensive and probably would be about the same value
as a fairly good SD DTV. The only interest that the RS STB is getting is
from those that have purchased new HDTV capable sets.  These people have
a financial incentive to buy.  Until the mandatory cutoff date for NTSC
arrives there will be no market for such a box.  Even after that date,
the value issue will drive people to buy a new sets with built in DTV
tuner.  I guess you would call this replacement value, where it is
cheaper in the long run to replace the older set with a new set if the
new value is comparable to what the older set had when originally
purchased.  The market will be with new cheap SD sets with digital
tuners.  I believe that the STB market will not be there in large
numbers, only very small based on value to the customer older out if
date TVs will just be junked.

P Joy=20