[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:05:05 -0400

> There are no mandatory dates associated with the
> plug-&-play agreement.  By March 1 of next year,
> the tuner mandate requires 100% of all tuner-equipped
> TVs 25-inch and up built or imported into the U.S.
> to have DTT reception circuitry. That includes the
> under-$100 25-inch TVs I find advertised periodically.

True enough.

But I think some of these ultra-cheap large sets that
have suddenly appeared on the market are skewing our
perceptions of prices. Only very recently, a $250 27"
direct view set was considered a good price. I have to
believe that sub-$100 prices are the manufacturer's
attempt at clearing their stocks.

If the price delta is around $40 for the tuner mandate,
as even LG said, I don't think there will be any huge
consumer outcry, even for the cheap sets. No? If you
can afford a $100 set, would a price increase to $140
make the set unobtainable?