[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:02:17 -0700

"Even for Standard Definition TV, transmitted via digital gives a great
improvement in picture and sound quality." -Tony Neece

This is not true in all cases.  Within the defined service area (as is the
case for me in Las Vegas), I disagree.  The digital SD pictures do not look
as good as the NTSC pictures.  I'm sure that DTT looks better on the
service fringe where analog gets noisy, but with proper reception, the NTSC
does not have the digital artifacts that DTT does.  Here in LV, the
broadcasters are not using the full 19Mb/s for SD material and it shows.
For those broadcasters that are multi-casting, it is worse.

However, you are probably correct for those that are using a poor antenna
pointed in the wrong direction.  But that is not a problem with the
delivery system.  Using the same poor antenna, if it works, DTT will look
better.  But then DTT doesn't promise it will work without the proper
antenna, either.  And in fact, it is usually less reliable than the noisy
NTSC pictures under this circumstance.

Dan Grimes